Governance & Structure
The Alliance advances its’ work through collaborative engagement with the goal to optimize member input and participation, leverage resources and coordinating activities. The structure is comprised of an executive committee, a secretariat and working groups. IACO members participate on working groups to advance IACO priorities and are involved in decision-making and initiatives to the extent of their ability and resources. Member organizations are free to express their disagreement with a position taken by the members of IACO and to opt out of specific initiatives of the Alliance.
The Executive Committee acts on behalf of the Alliance members. specifically, to ensure:
- The provision of direction on IACO priorities and achievement of strategic goals.
- Oversight for contracts and deliverables
- Ensuring a sustainable and transparent operating and structural system
- Coordinating and aligning the activities of the working groups
The Knowledge Translation Working Group ensures broad dissemination and knowledge translation of key IACO reports and initiatives. Members advise on the development, implementation and progress of knowledge translation and dissemination activities. To achieve this goal, the members undertake the following activities:
- Provide input on KT activities such as key messages, website content, communication plans
- Identify opportunities to support KT activities (local, international groups and / or events)
- Act as a resource for IACO members to support dissemination to ensure
- Advise on evaluation framework to maximum KT
- Foster dialogue and engagement with the member countries and other key stakeholders
- Ensure updating of the IACO Strategic Plan (based on member input) as required
The Policy and Advocacy Working Group develops IACO position statements and policy to ensure a unified IACO voice is represented on issues and opportunities that impact carers. Through collaborative engagement, members take on the following actions:
- Define and promote IACO’s opinion and knowledge on important carer topics, based on research and evidence
- Ensure IACO members were aware of IACO positions and strategic policy goals.
- Identify potential research needs of IACO that could be funded.
- Identify and evaluation potential international stakeholder groups to forge alliances with IACO.
- Represent and support IACO representation in meetings with international groups.
- Provide guidance and direction on IACO’s involvement in national and international events.