NEWS & EVENTS
2019 IACO General Assembly Meeting
Paris, France. March 20 & 21, 2019
IACO members gathered in Paris France on March 20 & 21, 2019 at the General Assembly meeting to share progress on actions around the globe to support awareness and recognition of carers. Over the 2-day event, members and invited guests continued to dialogue on the impact of caring and sharing of innovative practices around the world. Through our commitment to collaborative engagement, IACO continued to build synergies and identify opportunities towards global commitment to actions for carers.
Members were welcomed by Nadine Henningsen, Board Chair, IACO / CEO, Canadian Home Care Association & Carers Canada and Florence Leduc, Présidente, Association Française des Aidants. The two leaders set the tone of the meeting and challenged participants to think outside the box and explore alignment within and among countries. Key strategic initiatives were shared throughout the event:
- Embracing Cares, a global initiative to build awareness and recognition of carers, was presented by Scott Williams, Vice President, Global Patient Advocacy & Meagan Bates Perry, Associate Director of Patient Advocacy and Strategic Partnerships, Global Healthcare Government & Public Affairs, EMD Serono.
- Progress on the IACO Innovative Carer Practices was shared by Catherine Suridjan, Director of Policy & Knowledge Translation, Carers Canada & Liam O’Sullivan, Executive Director, Care Alliance Ireland
- A stimulating discussion on the impact of caring and the potential synergies of the carers movement with the patient community was led by David Palacios, M.D., Head of Patient Advocacy & Annekatrin Krause, Global Patient Engagement Manager, Novartis Pharma, AG
- The innovative study on Carers of Individuals with Heart Failure and the carer-patient dyad was presented by Emily Holzhausen, Director of Policy and Public Affairs, Carers UK
The open forum portion of the IACO General Assembly meeting was concluded with a strategic workshop on creating a global commitment to action. Kelly Cox, Senior Director, Global Alliance Development, Johnson & Johnson, set the context and opportunity to align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and C. Grace Whiting, J.D., President and CEO, National Alliance for Caregiving shared the potential for impact as summarized in the IACO Global State of Care Report.
The second day provided an opportunity for IACO members to collaborate and brainstorm strategic actions to advance the goals for the three working committees:
- Strategic Projects and Communication Committee, chaired by Rachel Ladani, CEO Caregivers Israel
- Policy and Stakeholder Engagement Committee, chaired by Emily Holzhausen, Director of Policy and Public Affairs, Carers UK
- Membership Recruitment and Engagement Committee, chaired by Anil Patil, Founder and Executive Director, Carers Worldwide