Mobilizing Global Actions for Carers
2018 Annual Meeting of the IACO General Assembly
May 9th – 10th, 2018, London, England
The members of the International Alliance of Carer Organizations (IACO) met on May 9-10 to share progress on the carer agenda and set a new strategic direction for the next five years.
Hosted in London, England, by Carers UK, the meeting brought together representatives from fifteen IACO member countries, associate members and partners to discuss how the organization can build on the successes achieved thus far and create a global carer movement. “Caring is one of the most important social and economic policy issues worldwide. The global alliance enables countries to participate in critical dialogue and exchange ideas to address the unmet needs of carers around the world,” said Ara Cresswell, CEO Carers Australia and Vice Chair IACO Governing Board.
Member countries discussed and agreed on the following priorities for the new iteration of the strategic plan (2018-2022):
- Build a global awareness and recognition of who carers are and what they do.
- Articulate the impact of caring on the carers, the patient, the health and social care systems and the economy at large.
- Create a global strategy and committee to action through the identification, spreading and scaling of innovative carer policies and programs.
Recognizing the importance of evidence-based decision-making, Dr. Sue Yeandle, Principal investigator, The Sustainable Care Research Programme, provided a comprehensive overview of this international project examining how to resource and deliver social care as a critical issue facing society today. Willemijn Looman, post-doctoral researcher from the Erasmus University Rotterdam, Institute for Health Policy and Management in the Netherlands shared early findings on the importance of carers in integrated chronic care models in the SELFIE Project.
“Through IACO’s support of innovative research, we can share data findings that reinforce the experiences and stories of carers around the world”, stated Liam O’Sullivan, Executive Director of Care Alliance Ireland and Treasurer/Secretary IACO Governing Board.
The meeting set the foundation for a coordinated and collaborative action plan for carers. Congratulations to the member countries of the IACO Governing Board who will guide the organizations through this exciting expansion phase.
- Chair, Carers Canada
- Vice Chair, Carers Australia
- Secretary/Treasurer, Care Alliance Ireland
- Chair, Strategic Projects and Communications Standing Committee, Caregivers Israel
- Chair, Policy and Stakeholder Relations Standing Committee, Carers UK
- Chair, Member Recruitment and Engagement Committee, Carers Worldwide
“This meeting has advanced our discussions around challenges, achievements and strategies in championing the well-being of carers on a global scale. The collective strength of IACO will ensure our success in shaping a bright future for carers around the world,” said Nadine Henningsen, President Carers Canada, Chair IACO Governing Board.